About Stacy

Stow, Ohio, United States

Saturday, April 9, 2011

C-Training Race: Jackson Laughs 25K

Saturday, April 9, 2011
Inaugural Jackson Laughs 25K


Temps were cold this morning. Although the temp was 43, it felt much colder - overcast - typical Cleveland weather. I layered up appropriately: base layer, followed by a comfy thick middle layer and of course my Grunt Girl Racing shirt. No need for the wind resistant layer.

The first 5 miles of the race was fairly flat. The gentle rollers began shortly thereafter. It was mile 13 that we hit "the hill." Thanks Sharpie! (Sara Harper designed the course. Harper is a KSU student, and excellent cyclist who is preparing for RAAM).

When I hit mile 7, I knew the next 9 miles were gonna be tough, this is when my mental toughness kicks in. For 9 miles I felt as though my legs were going to explode. I am not used to running on the road, not for 16.16 miles. I have been logging the miles on the CVNP trails: Buckeye Trail, Oak Hill, Ledges Trails, etc.

As I continue to prepare for the Cleveland Half-Marathon, May 15, I will incorporate more road running. I knew I had to, but was hoping I might be able to avoid weekly road runs.
The trails are much easier on the body, but challenging do to the rolling and rocky terrain. Trails help build balance, stability and strengthen the core. The scenery is gentle on the eyes and calming to the mind.

Turning a small corner, at mile 15.5, I could see the Kent State logo on Dix Stadium. That gave me the boost of energy I need to get to the finish line. I crossed the line at 3:02. I plan hitting at PR at the Cleveland Half - 1:58

Next event: April 17:  Forget the PR 25K

Train smart, stay focused and never give up!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Nice race report. Im shooting for a 1:59 half marathon time this year. Cleveland half course is perfect for a PR. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete